Secrets of Shiogama’s
: Foodie walking tour
Shiogama City has prospered since ancient times as a salt-making town.
Salt has long been used not only as a purifying element but also played a vital and essential role in Japanese cuisine as a seasoning.
A tour to appreciate food through understanding the Japanese salt culture.
Experience the many ways to appreciate salt,
from visiting shrines that venerate salt,
enjoying Japanese sake which pair well with salt,
and eating sushi with salt.
- Includes a local guide that will explain about salt, Japanese sake, Shiogama and Japanese culture (Available in Japanese and English)
- Try Shiogama sushi with salt, popular with foodies, and paired with Japanese sake.
- Sake shop of Shiogama, includes tasting and lecture of Japanese sake at a sake brewery.
- Visit the Okama shrine and the Shiogama shrine, famous as sacred places.
Shiogama ShrineLet the guide show you the history and culture of Shiogama, and honor the Shiogama shrine with its solemn atmosphere.
SauraSaura is a sake brewery famous for "Urakasumi" sake. Attend a mini-lecture on Japanese sake by a guide and taste 3 types of sake.
The pairing of Japanese sake and sushiLunch with Shiogama's seasonal sushi and local sake. Enjoy the pairing. Lunch with Shiogama's seasonal sushi and local sake. Enjoy the pairing.
Enjoy sushi with saltSavor sushi with salt, and experience the salt, the sake and the gastronomy culture of Shiogama.
※ All images are for illustration purposes
JR Hon-Shiogama Station Start→Okama Shrine→Shiogama Shrine→Kumahisa Sake Shop→Saura→Sushi Lunch→Yabe-en
※ If an alcoholic drink is not required, Amazake (Non-alcoholic sweet fermented rice drink) or soft drinks are available.
【Meeting Place】 JR Hon-Shiogama Station (Senseki Line) (15-1 Kaigan-dori, Shiogama-shi, Miyagi-ken)
【Participants】 Maximum 8 persons(minimum 2 persons)
【Season】 Every day (except Sunday)
【Price】 18,000 Yen per person (tax included) (middle school age or older)
【Included in price】
● Sake tasting fee ● Sake seminar fee ● Guided tour of the ｃity ● Lunch (Includes 1 glass of Japanese sake) ● Learn traditional method of worship ● English speaking guide ● Insurance
【Not included in price】
● Additional drinks while eating